'Fall Back' - Daylight Saving Time Ends This Weekend
Just a reminder - we 'fall back' an hour on Sunday when daylight saving time ends!
Be sure to set your clocks accordingly so you don't miss out on Sunday programming!
Notice of 2019 Annual General Meeting
To: All Eligible Members, Oakville Soccer Club
From: Abas Kanu, Secretary, Oakville Soccer Club
Date: October 10, 2019
Re: Notice of Oakville Soccer Club 2019 Annual General Meeting
NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN that the 2019 Annual General Meeting of the Oakville Soccer Club Inc. will be held at Town Hall, Town of Oakville (1225 Trafalgar Rd., Oakville) on Saturday, November 30, 2019 at 9:00 a.m. for the following purposes:
2019 AGENDA ITEM
MOTION / SPEAKER
1) Call to Order and Opening Remarks
President, Randy Bianchin
2) Approval of Guest List
3) Review and accept the Minutes of the Previous AGM
4) To approve the Financial Statements ended September 30, 2019 and the Auditors' report thereon. Statements to be made available to members on November 20, 2019 at the Club office by appointment only during the Club's office hours (9:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m., Monday - Friday)
5) To appoint Auditors and to authorize them to fix their remuneration
6) To receive Finance, Governance and Discipline Board Committee Reports
7) 2019 Year in Review
Executive Director, Dave Harris
8) Strategic Plan in Review
Executive Director, Dave Harris
9) Duly submitted questions from the Membership addressed
President, Randy Bianchin
10) Election of Directors
11) To duly destroy the ballots
The Oakville Soccer Club office is located at 1520 Pine Glen Road, Oakville, Ontario, L6M 4P4.
In accordance with section 7.6 of the OSC By-Laws, only voting members are entitled to be present at any general meeting of members although the OSC’s auditors, and any other person or entity may attend if required by law, any OSC By-law or the Act or if approved by the Chairperson or by the majority consent of the voting members present. Non voting members may participate on permission of the chairpersons of the meeting or by majority consent of the voting members present.
A voting member is described in section 6.2.1 of the OSC By-Laws. Voting Members (All must be over 18 years of age) shall have one (1) Vote each per ballot and shall include:
a) Members of the Board of Directors of the OSC; b) The following volunteer officials of the OSC:
* House League convenors * Representative team and House League team coaches, team officials, managers and assistants (to a maximum of four (4) coaches, team officials, team managers or team assistants per team) * Voting Committee Members
c) Any other person as admitted to voting membership by resolution of the Board.
d) Life Members - members who have been appointed by the Board for life in recognition of extraordinary contribution to the OSC. Such appointments may be made at any time and at the sole discretion of the Board. Life members are exempt from any registration fees or dues.
Voting members must submit their intention of attending the AGM to the OSC Secretary either by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or by dropping off a sealed note at the Oakville Soccer Club office by 12:00 p.m. on Wednesday, November 27, 2019. You must include your full name and identify the subclass (as defined in Section 6.2.1) by which you shall be registered as a voting member. If applicable, please identify the age group and gender your membership is associated with.
4. Active members are eligible to register their intent to attend the AGM in person with the Club secretary OR, they may appoint their vote to a proxy holder in accordance with the Oakville Soccer Club By-Law 7.8.
PLEASE NOTE: The proxy will be invalid unless the proxy card has been signed and dated by the eligible appointing member as required by the Oakville Soccer Club By-Law 7.8. Click here for more information and a proxy card.
Active members may register their appointed proxy with the Oakville Soccer Club by the following means:
a) EMAIL: Completed proxy card received in PDF format at the Club Secretary’s email (email@example.com) no later than 12:00 p.m. on Wednesday, November 27, 2019. b) DELIVER IN PERSON: Completed proxy card received and recorded at the Oakville Soccer Club office no later than 12:00 p.m. on Wednesday, November 27, 2019. c) MAIL: Completed proxy card addressed to “Oakville Soccer Club, 1520 Pine Glen Road, Oakville, Ontario, L6M 4P4 Attn: Secretary” and post marked no later than Friday, November 22, 2019.
5. In terms of motions and questions from ‘voting members of record’, all requests must be submitted to the Secretary no later than 15 days in advance of the Annual General Meeting or by 12:00 p.m. on Thursday, November 14, 2019. You may either email your questions to firstname.lastname@example.org or drop off your questions at the Oakville Soccer Club office in a sealed envelope addressed to the Club Secretary.
6. Individuals interested in running for a position on the Board of Directors should read the OSC By-Laws, Section 3 related to Board of Directors, in particular: Article 3.2, Qualifications; 3.3, Election and Appointment of Directors; and 3.9, Nomination of Directors. Further information regarding nominations, including a Nomination Application Form with further detail regarding the skills/competencies required by the Board in its forthcoming term will be available on the Club’s website oakvillesoccer.ca. Interested individuals are invited to send a letter outlining his/her interest in running for the Board accompanying a completed Nominations Application Form to the Chairs of the Governance Committee at: email@example.com or by sealed mail at the Club office.
All candidate applications must be received by 12:00 p.m. on Wednesday, November 6, 2019. The slate of nominees will be published on the Club’s website on Tuesday, November 12, 2019. All properly nominated individuals will have their name listed on the ballots. Nominations are also possible from the floor at the AGM however the process requires a 2/3 majority vote as required by OSC By-Law, Article 3.10.4.
22 OSC Players Selected to Participate in Provincial Screening Competition
The Oakville Soccer Club is proud to announce that 22 players from the Club's OPDL program have been selected to participate in the Ontario Soccer Provincial Screening Competition during the month of October.
These U14, U15 and U16 players have been selected by Ontario Soccer based on their performance during the 2019 OPDL season. Founded in 2014, the OPDL is Ontario's standards-based high-performance league. It combines top level competition with strict training standards with the goals of developing the top soccer talent within the province.
Provincial Screenings will take place in October with selected players representing Ontario in national play in 2020. OSC was proud to have 37 players participate in the Provincial Screenings in 2018 with 8 of those players being selected to represent Team Ontario in their respective age groups in 2019.
“I would like to congratulate all of the Oakville Soccer Club players who have been invited by Ontario Soccer to participate in the Provincial Screening Competition,” said Executive Director Dave Harris. “The dedication and perseverance of these players made this opportunity possible. I would also like to recognize OSC’s coaches and Technical staff who were instrumental in the development of these young individuals. We wish all the players good luck as they work towards the goal of joining the Provincial Program.”
OSC's Senior Technical Director Chris Grierson said: “We are incredibly proud of these players for being invited to the Provincial Screening Competition. OSC continues to strive to develop players and give them the skills required to excel during the OPDL season and during opportunities like this. We wish them the best of luck!”
Congratulations to the following players:
Boys 2006 Ahmad Al Sibai Athol Munro Karl Espiro Raushan Pourawal
Boys 2005 Alexander Wiktorek* Cormac Tracey Emilio Arabit Nathan Grabke Isaiah Goldson* Mustafa Haddad
Boys 2004 Daniel Christiansen Domenico Folino Kacper Ambrozewicz Manuel Rodrigues De Jesus William Missere
Girls 2006 Cristina Ciofani Gemma Groth Sierra Gallant
Girls 2005 Ava Boyd Carsyn Weber
Girls 2004 Sophie Francuz Julia Scharpf
*Indicates players that participated in the 2019 Provincial Program.
For the official announcement from Ontario Soccer regarding the 2019 Provincial Screening Competition, please click here.
The Oakville Soccer Club is proud to have these young individuals representing the Club and wishes all 22 players all the best at the Provincial Screening Competition.
Today we recognize Rowan's Law Day. Rowan’s Law is named after Rowan Stringer, a high school rugby player from Ottawa, who died in the spring of 2013 from a condition known as second impact syndrome (swelling of the brain caused by a subsequent injury that occurred before a previous injury healed).
Rowan is believed to have experienced three concussions over six days while playing rugby. She had a concussion but didn’t know her brain needed time to heal. Neither did her parents, teachers or coaches. Rowan’s Law and Rowan’s Law Day were established to honour her memory and bring awareness to concussions and concussion safety.
In order to raise awareness of concussions and their long and short term implications, the Government of Ontario established Rowan’s Law in 2018 which makes it mandatory for sports organizations to: