The Oakville Soccer Club (“OSC”) has created this Privacy Statement in order to demonstrate our firm commitment to collecting, using and disclosing personal information responsibly. The principles in this Privacy Statement have been built upon the values set by the Canadian Standards Association's Model Code for the Protection of Personal Information and Canada's Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (“PIPEDA”). It should be noted that although not-for-profit organizations, like OSC, are generally not regulated under PIPEDA, OSC has adopted this Privacy Statement and the policies discussed herein as a prudent measure to ensure the privacy of the personal information that we collect.
Personal information is information about an identifiable individual and includes information relating to personal characteristics (e.g. gender, age, income, address, phone number, ethnicity, race, family status), health (e.g. health history, health conditions, health services received) or personal beliefs and views (e.g. religious beliefs, political views).
Collection of Personal Information
OSC collects personal information from its members, including without limitation, its players, coaches, managers, team staff, and volunteers, in order to offer services to its members. This information is collected by means of our registration system, historical participation records, and website activity logs.
OSC may collect the following types of personal information:
- Contact information (name, date of birth, address, telephone number, e-mail)
- Emergency contact information (name, address, telephone number, e-mail)
- Health information relating to the safety of the member
- Member information for uniforms (e.g. height, weight, uniform size, shoe size)
- Soccer experience
- Interests and preferences with respect to member services
- Financial information, including credit card information for registration for programs, services or goods
- Various website activity including IP address and online activity
- (Please note that OSC’s website may use a browser feature called a “cookie” to collect information about you and your use of OSC’s website. Cookies are small data files that a website writes to your hard drive when you visit in order to “track” your visit. On their own, cookies cannot be used to disclose the individual identity of any site user. Cookies identify only your browser, but not your identity, to our servers when you visit OSC’s website. If you opt not to accept cookies, you may not be able to use some of the features on OSC’s website.)
- For volunteers: screening information, including Criminal Record Check or Vulnerable Sector Screening
- In addition, we may also collect, use and disclose personal information when required or permitted by law
Use of Personal Information
When you make a decision to register a player/member, to purchase OSC club wear, to register for a camp, or to register for a tournament or any other club event, OSC will use your personal information to process your order. We will also send you e-mails to confirm your order, and we may need to contact you via phone, postal mail or e-mail if we have other questions regarding your application. In addition, you will be automatically signed up to receive e-mail updates about OSC events.
We also collect personal information for the following purposes:
- Registration information is used to allow OSC to communicate better with our members (e.g. through newsletters). The information collected during registration enables us to give e-mail subscribers current information updates regarding OSC activities
- Limited personal information is shared with our governing bodies, as required (e.g. Peel Halton Soccer Association, Ontario Soccer)
- Limited personal information is shared with our insurer relating to our insurance coverage
- Personal information is used to organize and select teams for programs and other purposes within the mandate of OSC
- Personal information is disclosed to staff and directors of OSC, as well as coaches, managers, conveners, game officials and other volunteers
OSC will not require an individual to consent to the collection, use or disclosure of information beyond that required to fulfill the specified purpose and will only share the minimum amount of information required to fulfill the specified purpose.
OSC’s website may contain links to other sites. OSC does not screen our partner links. Please be aware that OSC is not responsible for the privacy practices of such other sites. We encourage our users to be aware when they leave our site and to read the privacy statements of each and every website that collects identifiable information. This Privacy Statement applies solely to information collected by OSC.
Your provision of personal information to us means that:
- you agree and consent that we may collect, use and disclose your personal information for the purposes described in this Privacy Statement;
- you or your representatives are authorized to provide us with your personal information. Should you choose not to provide us with required personal information that is requested, we may not be able to provide certain services; and
- you acknowledge and consent that OSC may retain service providers to perform certain services and that in the event that a service provider is located in the United States or another jurisdiction, personal information may be processed and stored in that jurisdiction, and that foreign courts or law enforcement or regulatory agencies may be able to obtain disclosure of personal information through the laws of those jurisdictions.
You have the right to withdraw your consent for OSC to process your personal information; however, this may limit our ability to provide certain services. OSC will collect explicit consent from you prior to using or disclosing your personal information for new purposes.
How We Safeguard Your Information
We use security standards and safeguards appropriate to the sensitivity of the personal information collected in an effort to ensure that your personal information is protected against unauthorized access, disclosure, theft, copying, use or modification. These safeguards include, without limitation, locked filing cabinets, restricted access to offices, and technological measures including the use of passwords, encryption and firewalls.
OSC may, from time to time, contact you on behalf of external business partners about a particular offering that may be of interest to you. Your personal information (e-mail, name, address, telephone number) is not transferred to the third party. Your information will never be sold, rented, loaned or made available in any manner to any third party.
If you provide us with your postal address, you may receive periodic brochures from us with information on upcoming events. If you provide us with your telephone number and/or email address, you may receive telephone or email contact from us with the information regarding upcoming events.
We will not share any information you give us with anyone outside of OSC except when required by the Peel Halton Soccer Association, Ontario Soccer, or where required by law or court order, or where you have provided your prior written consent. It should also be noted that all employees of OSC sign a confidentiality agreement yearly where they agree to uphold confidentiality relating to all OSC business operations and personal information.
Accessing and Amending Your Information
You have the right to be informed of the existence, use and disclosure of your personal information, to access your information, and to challenge the accuracy and completeness of the information and have it amended as appropriate.
To obtain access to your records you must make a written request. Please describe the records you are requesting, being as specific as possible so that we can ensure our response meets your needs. We will respond to your request within thirty (30) business days or we will notify you of the need for additional information or the reasons why your access has been denied.
To help us keep your personal information up-to-date, we encourage you to change, update, or amend inaccuracies and make corrections as often as necessary. To make a change or update to your personal information, you may do one of the following:
- Submit a request in writing; or
- Call OSC at 905-849-4436 where our staff will be available to receive your request for a change in your personal information.
Revisions and Updates
The terms in this Privacy Statement are subject to updates and revisions from time to time. OSC encourages you to periodically review this Privacy Statement to remain informed about how OSC is protecting your personal information.
If you have any questions or concerns about this Privacy Statement or the information in this statement, please contact:
Paula Lachance, Director of Finance and Human Resources
Oakville Soccer Club Inc.
1520 Pine Glen Road
Oakville, ON L6M 4P4
If you would like more information on PIPEDA, please refer to the website of the Office of the Privacy Commissioner of Canada at www.privcom.gc.ca.